- 2020 Playoffs - It's finals week!
- League championships and the finals for the Gore Cup and the Bottom Feeder Open are up next
- Look for Game 1 late on Tuesday night
- 2020 Playoffs - Week 3 - League semifinals, Gore Cup, and Bottom Feeder Open
- Reminder - tonight is the deadline to change your lineups for the finals week in the playoffs
- 2020 Playoffs - Week 3 - League semifinals, Gore Cup, and Bottom Feeder Open - Games 2-4 posted
- For the Big Red Machine League - your playoff pages were showing the wrong league for this week's games - that's now fixed.
- Some quick stats on the league semifinals:
- Overall, only 60% of the division winners in the 65
leagues advanced from the first two rounds into the
semifinals these were the teams seeded 1-4 in the
- Only 47 of the 65 #1 seeds (72%) are still alive
- 44 #2 seeds
- 36 #3 seeds
- 29 #4 seeds
- The lowest seed advancing to the semis was a #14 seed: California from Fenway Fenatics (Craig Burke). The team finished the regular season 22-32 and defeated Cincinnati (#3 seed, 31-23) and Centauri (#5 seed, 29-25) to get this far. They are up against Skeleton (38-16), the league's top seed, in the semifinals.
- Other low seeds getting this far include 3 #13s, 5 #12s, 8 #11s, 8 #10s, and 10 #9s. These teams all pulled an upset in the first round and repeated the upset in the quarterfinals.
- Only 7 leagues had all 4 division winners advance to the semifinals
- No league had all of its division winners fail to make the semifinals, but 9 of the 65 leagues have only 1 division winner in the final four.
- Overall, only 60% of the division winners in the 65 leagues advanced from the first two rounds into the semifinals these were the teams seeded 1-4 in the tournament.
- 2020 Playoffs - Week 3 - League semifinals, Gore Cup, and Bottom Feeder Open - Game 1 posted
- The random game selection and the starting pitching games used was reset for the next 2 weeks. It's possible that your league will use one of the same random games used in the first 2 rounds or that one of your starting pitchers will use the same game as before - but there are no repeats over this week and the week of the league finals.
- All teams are "back in it" as the Gore Cup and the Bottom Feeder Open fields are set
- We're utilizing the structure of the conference championships for the league semifinals. In most cases this won't line up with the real conferences that teams play in. I contemplated trying to play with the setup to get them as close as possible, but it was just more efficient to fill them without worrying about the conferences.
- This season, without real conference play, the final team standing in a conference will be designated the conference winner. Should all remaining teams be eliminated in the same week, initial playoff seeding will be the tiebreaker.
- Teams that advance to the finals can change their lineups again for the next round. Lineups are open again and the deadline to make changes is very short: Monday night at midnight Pacific (shown on the web as Tuesday, 10/27 at 3 AM Eastern)
Did You Know? BWB is now listed on John Skilton's Baseball Links